The Best Bathroom Cleaners for Every Surface
Consider these factors as you read the labels of bathroom cleaners.
Suitability for cleaning surface.
You’ll find bathroom cleaners in two varieties:
- Multipurpose cleaners can be applied to a wide range of bathroom surfaces from showers and tubs to mirrors because they’re formulated for use on multiple materials. They’re the most versatile and budget-friendly option because you need only buy one cleaner for the whole bathroom.
- Dedicated cleaners are formulated (and labeled) for use only on specific surfaces, such as toilet bowls or showers; using them elsewhere could tarnish or corrode other materials. They’re a good option for deep-cleaning a targeted area.
That said, it’s perhaps more important to select a product labeled for use on the specific material you’ll be cleaning.
- For toilets, bathroom cleaners should be labeled as safe for use on porcelain.
- For mirrors, choose products for use on glass.
- For countertops, cleaners should specify that they’re safe on laminate, natural stone (e.g., granite or marble), engineered stone (e.g., quartz), or ceramic tile.
- For sinks, cleaners should be compatible with sink basin materials (e.g., porcelain or acrylic) and faucet materials (e.g., chrome or brass).
- For tubs and showers, select cleaners meant for use on porcelain, ceramic tile, vinyl, or natural stone.